Supre
Thursday, 10 July 2008
I'm waging war against this chain of stores. Particularly the Perth City one. And there is no stopping me. I'm a debater/public speaker with an opinion who is disgruntled so here goes...
Today whilst in the city I decided to do a spot of shopping. As I walked up and down the malls looking for an outfit for Saturday night (Our massive plan for world domination), I saw Supre. Now, I haven’t shopped at Supre much because I believe it to be overpriced rags, sold to 13- and 14-year-old girls who want to look like they are older and sluttier. With this in mind, the average shopper is still from the demographics between 10 to 25 years old. The clothes they sell are apparently “straight off the catwalk” in colours that, quite frankly, would look better in a rave club that on a girl (we’re looking at highlighter yellows and greens), however occasionally they will sell things that I like. What drew me to the store today was a recent commercial I had seen which was advertising ¾ length sleeved shirts at a reasonable price. On arrival to the store I found the rack with these shirts and after looking through 4 of the racks, I came up empty handed. There was a wide range of colours, most of which were actually decent looking, but what were lacking were the sizes. The only sizes available were anything from size S to size XXXXS. Now, I knew that I was a medium before looking, and actually in some stores I may fit into a small. I have a flat stomach as a result of my operation and lack of eating since then, and I have equally small boobs, however I am still of average build because of my bones which are genetic from both sides of the family. Anyway, I eventually found a medium and took a small with me into the change rooms just incase. I tried the medium on and quickly discovered that it was just a little too small for me. Do you know how belittling that is? To found out that a medium size was too small for you? It doesn’t make you feel good at all. I know, I know. You’re most probably thinking that I’m just being a self-conscience teenaged girl. But I’m not. I’m very comfortable with most of my body, but when a medium size doesn’t fit me, then please excuse me if I feel a little put down.
So my whole point is that chain stores such as Supre need to re-think what they sell and who they sell it to. I know I’m not the only girl in Perth who is the same body size as me and who would be just as frustrated to walk in and find the same thing. Things need to change around here.
6:25 pm